Tuesday 12 August 2014

My summer holiday diary part 2 - Dartmoor

Last weekend we went to Dartmoor with Grandma and Pops and my Uncle and stayed in Ash Tree Cottage.  Mum, Dad and my little brother went home but I got to stay for the whole week and did loads of fun activities!

We went to Lydford Gorge and saw lots of waterfalls.  The biggest waterfall was called The White Lady.  There was also a part called The Devils Cauldron where the water has carved away the rock to make it look like a cauldron!  There were lots of slippery rocks and narrow paths so you had to be careful but it was really fun.  I also went to the café there and had a delicious jacket potato!  

Ash Tree Cottage was on a farm.  There were sheep which I got to feed a few times and also a dog called Bramble who I made friends with and we played ball most days!  There were lots of wildflowers in the fields.

We went to The House of Marbles which had a giant marble run on the wall where you press a button and the marbles go round.  We saw some glass being made.  There was also a big shop selling all kinds of glass items and marbles – we bought lots!

We went to see someone who looks after birds of prey.  We saw buzzards, hawks and owls as well as rabbits and chickens.  I held a baby owl and fed some of the birds too.

At Otters & Butterflies there were all sorts of unusual butterflies that you don't usually see in Britain.  As well as seeing the butterflies flying around you could see them hatching out of their cocoons, which was really interesting.  The otters were really playful and funny in their enclosure.

I had a great time in Dartmoor visiting lots of places different to the ones I visit at home.






2 comments:

  1. It looks like you've had a great week exploring some interesting places in Dartmoor. The photos of the butterflies and birds of prey are fab. Thanks for linking up and sharing your fun with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little fairy door in the tree and the marble run sounds like great fun #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete